Odus Maximus Moon

Odus Maximus Moon
aka Kitchen Manager

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Oh Luna

I'm not sure if I ever formally introduced Luna.  She is our three-legged Rottweiler mix.  She was not originally a tri-pod but came to be after some unfortunate circumstances.  It was inevitable that we would acquire a fourth dog after I started working at an animal shelter.  We had moved into our house and had been living there for about a year.  We had three dogs which seemed pretty manageable.  Being the unstable person that I am without a backbone to speak of when it comes to animals, I decided I needed to go to the city pound and see what they had.  After searching through the first two kennels, I came to the third.  I don't even know why I continued to the third.  The Albuquerque city pound is certainly depressing.  It's loud with the sound of dogs barking, whining and it basically looks like the ASPCA commercials on TV.  You know those commercials that play in slow motion to Sarah McLachlin music?  Each animal looks sad and longingly at the camera and they are the longest commercials EVER!!  They break my heart and my bank account when I watch. 

The third kennel had a mix of mutts and then the cutest little Rottweiler puppy you could imagine.  She was exactly what Charles wanted in a dog - Rottweiler.  She was unavailable because she was a conviction case.  We did not get the entire story, but either her previous owner broke her back leg or she somehow broke it and they never sought veterinary care.  I put our name on a calling list and left.  I truthfully had completely forgotten about her when I received a call three weeks later.  It was the city inquiring if I was still interested in her.  There was a catch:  she was available as-is.  They were not going to fix her already broken/healed leg and then they told me ever so eloquently that if I did not adopt her, they were waiting to euthanize her.  Who would want a dog with a broken leg that would need to be amputated and end up costing them over $4,000?  ME!  My mom went to the city pound and adopted her for me for the measly price of $9.00 - the cost of her microchip.  

Oh Luna!  Our lives have never been the same.  We did amputate her leg but thankfully we received an immense discount through Animal Humane.  She is toy hoarder, trash digger, barker, and Queen of the not-so-smart pups everywhere.  We are constantly trying to pry her away from our front window.  Even by trying to be clever and close-pin the curtain shut, she still manages to find a way!

And her favorite activity is to massacre her bed and eat the stuffing.  I don't know if that means she is hungry, lacking a certain vitamin she thinks she needs from fluff, or she is bored. She perplexes me.

"Oh Luna!" is a phrase we hear most often in our house.  I do really love her though.  She is a good snuggler and knows how to comfort me when I am upset.  She is a great taste tester and neighborhood watcher.




No comments:

Post a Comment